Frequently Asked Questions

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

General Questions

Q. What is the Northern Scientific Training Program (NSTP)?

A. The Northern Scientific Training Program is a supplementary granting program that provides Canadian university students with financial support to offset additional costs of conducting northern research.

Q. What is the purpose of the NSTP?

A. To stimulate interest in northern studies and to provide opportunities for senior undergraduate and graduate students who want to obtain experience and professional training in the North.

Q. Who is eligible for the NSTP?

A. Students (Canadian citizens or permanent residents) enrolled in a degree program at a recognized Canadian university. Post-doctoral studies are not supported.

Q. What fields of research are supported by the NSTP?

A. Training funds support projects on northern topics from ALL disciplines (health, human/social, life and physical sciences) and in multi-disciplinary fields.

Q. How can I use my NSTP fund?

A. Program funds are intended to assist in defraying additional costs attributable to northern research projects (transportation costs, living expenses, freight costs and some live interpreter fees). Funds cannot be used to cover translation, licencing costs or to pay for fees or living expenses in southern Canada.

Q. Can I apply to more than one university?

A. Candidates cannot be allocated NSTP funds through more than one university in a research year.

Q. How do I apply for the NSTP?

A. Students are required to complete the necessary online forms ensuring that they follow the instructions outlined in the Student’s Manual and that they have adhered to the NSTP Guidelines.

Q. What is the deadline for applying for NSTP funds?

A. The NSTP deadline is December 1st. However, students should contact their Northern Studies Committee to find out what the internal deadline is (generally early to mid-November).

Q. Where do I find the forms?

A. The forms are available online.